Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hack a Cisco Console Cable

If you’re a network admin (of Cisco Networks) you probably have these scattered all over the place; I have a few at home, one in my car, and normally always have one in what ever bag I’m carrying all my junk in.  It seems that whenever you need to pull out one of the bad boys out in a data closet there is no where with in reach of that cable to sit down.  I used to carry that cable along with a 10 foot serial cable that I found to work between my USB -> serial adapter and my good ol’ Cisco console cable.  Problem is that i started to just have too much stuff with me and I was getting sick of hauling around a bag full of cables; then in walked the 5-in-1 network cable website.

I’m still in the process of trying to get things working using the suggestions on that site but started to think about another alternative.

I took a serial to RJ-45 Cisco console cable and chopped most of it off and wired a network jack on the end of it so I could then just have that and use the Cat5e cable, that I would normally be carrying anyway with my gear, to connect to the console port on whatever I was working on.

T568-B StandardCisco Console Cable
Orange/White <===>Black
Orange             <===> Brown
Green/White   <===>Orange
Blue                  <===>Red
Blue/White      <===>Yellow
Green                <===>Green
Brown/White   <===>Blue
Brown               <===>Gray



A buddy of mine, who also does this kind of stuff for a job, said, “Same as Console Cable + RJ-45 coupler + Cat5 cable. Cool though!”.  Yes he is right, but I am always loosing my couplers, or using them on jobs when jerkoffs don’t install things where you tell them and you have to string 2 cables together to reach an access point while offsite in a stinky farm building.

After my buddy made that comment, I made another one that was just and RJ-45 end crimped on an inch from the serial connector. So now I can use the precious coupler as well, either way it has reduced some of the stuff I have to carry, now I just stash one of these in the spots I used to stash regular Cisco console cables.


 
 


 Well that’s about it… Have a good one…

No comments:

Post a Comment